8 April 2020
1. Enterprise Singapore (ESG) and the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) conducted enforcement checks on the suspension of activities at workplace premises and safe distancing measures, covering close to 10,700 F&B, retail and tourism businesses across Singapore yesterday (7 April 2020), the first day of the month-long “circuit breaker” period. 10 businesses were instructed to cease their operations, including TCM retail establishments, wellness and beauty product shops, money changers, mobile phone retail shops, consumer electronics retailers, kitchenware, and stationery shops. They had remained open despite providing non-essential services.
2. Verbal warnings were issued, and if these businesses continue to flout the rules, ESG and STB will impose fines, and suspend their operations.
3. ESG and STB deployed over 200 safe distancing ambassadors and staff to conduct these enforcement checks. ESG checked on over 9,750 F&B and retail establishments across 67 shopping malls, while STB checked on more than 920 tourism-related establishments. The majority of these establishments complied with the elevated safe distancing measures. Common infractions found included a lack of queue markings and poor crowd management, especially during meal times.
4. ESG and STB will continue to step up enforcement efforts during the “circuit breaker” period. We take a serious view of any infringement of safe distancing measures and will not hesitate to take actions against non-compliant businesses. Under the COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) Act passed in Parliament on 7 April 2020, first-time offenders will face a fine of up to S$10,000, imprisonment of up to six months, or both. Subsequent offences may face a fine of up to S$20,000, imprisonment of up to twelve months, or both.
5. We strongly urge businesses to comply with the elevated safe distancing measures, and to refer to the sector-specific guidelines that can be found on the Ministry of Health website. Members of the public are also reminded to practise safe distancing and be socially responsible.
About Enterprise Singapore
Enterprise Singapore (ESG) is the government agency championing enterprise development. We work with committed companies to build capabilities, innovate and internationalise.
We also support the growth of Singapore as a hub for global trading and startups, and build trust in Singapore’s products and services through quality and standards.
Visit www.enterprisesg.gov.sg for more information.
About the Singapore Tourism Board
The Singapore Tourism Board (STB) is the lead development agency for tourism, one of Singapore’s key economic sectors. Together with industry partners and the community, we shape a dynamic Singapore tourism landscape. We bring the Passion Made Possible brand to life by differentiating Singapore as a vibrant destination that inspires people to share and deepen their passions.