HOTEL INDUSTRY BACKGROUND
The hotel industry plays a key role in the tourism industry today. Of total tourism receipts in 2018, 21% was spent on accommodation. Hotels, as an industry, also supports Singapore’s business hub positioning, and fuels growth in other related industries such as Retail, Food and Beverage (F&B), and Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions (MICE).
While there would be anticipated steady growth in the hotel rooms, it is envisaged that manpower would not be able to keep up at the same pace. As such, there is an increasing need for hotels to be on the lookout for solutions to improve on manpower productivity, operating with a leaner workforce moving forward while raising the service experience and creating greater value for hotel guests.
HOTEL INNOVATION CHALLENGE
Noting these challenges, Singapore Tourism Board (STB) partnered the Singapore Hotel Association (SHA) to launch the Tourism Innovation Challenge for Hotels in 2019, to catalyse the development of new solutions to address the perennial pain points faced by the hotel industry, filling gaps and capitalizing on opportunities from the past solutions derived.
Challenge Process and Key Dates
|1 April 2019||Launch of Hotel Innovation Challenge and publication of documents on STB’s website|
|8 - 12 April 2019||
|30th April 2019||
Sharing Session on Hotel Data *new*
|10 May 2019||Deadline for submission of Preliminary Proposals (by 2359hrs)|
|20 - 23 May 2019||Announcement of Shortlisted Proposals|
|27 May – 10 June 2019||
1-1 Guiding Sessions
|19 July 2019||Marketplace (Engagement session with Hotels)|
|13 Sept 2019||Deadline for Submission of Proposal for STB’s Business Improvement Fund (BIF) (by 2359hrs)|
Due to request from Participants, a short sharing session will be held on 30th April to share some details on the data that hotels are currently collecting and relevant systems utilised. This sharing session will be beneficial for companies interested in submitting proposals for problem statements 7a, b and c. Details of session as follows:
Date: 30th April 2019
Venue: 1 Orchard Spring Lane, Tourism Court, Lvl 2 Auditorium
For companies who are interested in attending the session, kindly email us at STB_Hotels@stb.gov.sg with your name, company name and contact details.
Do note that we are limiting attendance to 1 representative per company.
Participants are to note that the dates indicated may be subject to change, and as such, STB encourages Participants to check this challenge website for updated details.
Why You Should Participate
1) Access to industry partners and partner ecosystem – STB will be facilitating industry networking platforms, to provide the opportunity for shortlisted Participants to engage hotel stakeholders, to understand their needs and garner insights, to develop customised solutions and enable collaboration. 1-1 guiding sessions will also be arranged for shortlisted Participants to develop and fine tune their solutions with the guidance of key hotel representatives. During the development process, STB will also be facilitating a vendor partner ecosystem to allow individual companies to work with companies of complementary specialisation, developing a holistic solution.
2) Awareness and recognition – Solutions that are supported by STB and successfully developed will have the opportunity to be showcased through relevant industry platforms. Participants are able to leverage these platforms to create more awareness of the solutions.
3) Financial support – Successful Participants will be funded with up to 70% of qualifying costs. This will help to lower the business risks of new product development, through support for the prototype and adoption costs.
Challenge is open to all Singapore registered Businesses/Companies
- Challenge Document - Click here
- Preliminary Proposal Submission Template Annex A- Click here
- BIF Proposal Template Annex B- Click here
- Frequently Asked Questions- Click here
- Challenge Launch Presentation Deck - Click here
- Learnings from Housekeeping Learning Trip - Click here
- Learnings from F&B Learning Trip - Click here
- Learnings from Sharing Session on Hotel Data - Click here
- Sharing Session on Hotel Data Presentation Materials - Click here
For more enquiries, please email us at STB_Hotels@stb.gov.sg